Re: Using Netscape Composer to produce clean code

At 03:41 p.m. 11/16/98 -0500, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
>That it shouldn't mess with the tags in one thing (which is why I don't use
>it) - but could you please explain why <I> and <B> are vastly inferior to
><EM> and <STRONG>?

I and B are presentational -- they assume a certain presentation which
doesn't have meaning in all user agents.  In other words, if you're
reading something aloud, you can't put it in italics or bold.

EM and STRONG, on the other hand, are broader.  They mean "show this
emphasized" or "show this strongly emphasized" and thus leave it up
to the browser to determine how it should say something.  I can
emphasize words when speaking out loud, but I can't _italicize_
words while speaking out loud.

The "preferred way" to do these kinds of things is to use EM
and STRONG, and if you need italics or bold, use styles for
visual browsers.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California