Re: WHAT IS THE POINT!

At 11:03 AM 7/29/98 -0700, Brandon Barnett wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 Lovey@aol.com wrote:
>> The BEST so far - I am logging off.
>> -L
>
>Okay, dumb question:  What is the HWG?  Where are these comments coming
>from?

The HTML Writers Guild (HWG) is a non-profit educational organization for
those interested in Web development.

It is not a professional association, though plenty of professionals are
members. Individual comments should only reflect on the *individuals* that
have made them, not on an organization as a whole, especially one that large.

It cannot be expected that the entire membership of over 70,000 people will
have accessibility as their first concern in Web design. As has been
discussed here previously, market-place realities sometimes compete with
that. So the quotes of "we've made this decision to only design for X" CAN
in fact be legitimate, even if it's not popular with the disability
community.

The Guild has put forth a considerable amount of effort at educating our
members on accessibility issues, and we continue to do so. In fact, we're
currently accepting registrations for an online course on accessibility
(http://www.hwg/org/services/classes).

We're working on the issue as much or more than any other web developer
group out there. However, nobody can guarantee full buy-in to any design
philosophy.

Best...

Ann
---
Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials (February 98)
Part of an exciting Sybex series! http://www.sybex.com/cgi-bin/nxrintro.pl

Owner, WebGeek Communications             http://www.webgeek.com
Treasurer, HTML Writers Guild            http://www.hwg.org
Pointgrrl, Central Coast Webgrrls