RE: Turn of phrase

> love26@gorge.net  wrote:
... and a *MAJOR* tool is going to be CSS2.  When we
> were told at the face2face that its inclusion in "major" browsers was
> somewhat problematic ("you must realize that this is no easy task") it
> was a severe disappointment.  Efforts to hurry and include an
> essentially "rogue" non-standard browser-specific "feature" like LAYER
> or the notorious BLINK and MARQUEE features were OK to rush into use but
> CSS2, the most likely candidate for effective isolation of content from
> presentation is seen as "trouble" for a beleaguered programming staff.

[CGW]  Comparing a single feature like LAYER, BLINK, or MARQUEE to
implementing all of the CSS2 Proposed Recommendation is comparing an apple
to a truckload of oranges.  The CSS2 PR is around 300 pages.  It would not
take me 300 pages to describe MARQUEE in exquisite detail, nor BLINK or
LAYER.

We have a commitment to CSS; that commitment originated back in late 1995,
when I convinced my boss that we should work on stylesheets and implementing
CSS, and has only grown since.  I don't think that commitment is waning.
However, reality rears its ugly head; CSS2 is more than 3 times as big as
CSS1, and neither of the two main browser implementors managed to finish off
all of CSS1 in their 4.0 browsers.

When it comes to specific features like the altered semantics of !important,
that are extremely high-priority for accessibility (and presumably
relatively easy to implement), we can certainly deliver.  Expecting us to
implement all the properties in CSS2 in our core product is a bit
optimistic.

-Chris Wilson
 Internet Explorer Team