RE: FW: US DOJ Ruling re Accessible Web Sites

For those in the United States, I also agree that it would be helpful to
compile US civil rights laws and regulations that impact the evolution of
the internet.  Technology is rapidly redefining the way we work and play in
our world and so I believe the public policy of equal access will continue
to play a significant role.  Laws, however, can be restrictive and that is
why I support the application of Universal Design principles for web design
since they bring broad economic and social benefits beyond those just for
people with disabilities.

Some of our laws of interest include:
Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Sections 501, 503, 504 & 508)
Telecommunications Act of 1996
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
State Laws & Policies

It also has been interested to follow case law developments and various
settlement agreements that are not published.  One area of particular
interest has been how the Office of Civil Rights, United States Department
of Education, has been enforcing equivalent access to the internet at our
colleges and universities statewide.  I briefly discuss this development in
my article entitled "Electronic Curbcuts:  How to Build an Accessible Web
Site" posted at http://www.prodworks.com/ilf/w5bcw.htm

As legal issues present themselves, I would be glad to post to this list.
In fact, I am preparing my lecture for a Telecommunications and Technology
Law class at Santa Clara University School of Law, and will share any
questions/insights raised by these budding attorneys.

Lastly, I received a request from someone on this list for my bio and it is
posted at Webgrrls "Top 25 Women on the Web"
http://www.webgrrls.com/sf/25women.htm  Further information of the efforts
of my office in implementing web accessibility at the City of San Jose can
be found in an article published by the Silicon Valley Business Journal at
http://www.amcity.com/sanjose/stories/102797/focus3.html

Cynthia D. Waddell
ADA Coordinator
City of San Jose