Re: spamming [was: In the market for a new car?]

WAI Interest Group participants,

A word or two about spamming and W3C mailing lists...

W3C maintains heavy spam filters, which filter out 100's of spam messages
daily from our mailing lists.  It is difficult to catch all spam in advance
because they originate from different addresses, so a few are bound to get
through.  However any new spam messages that come to the WAI lists, we
build into our filters so we won't get duplicates from that source in the
future.

It's counterproductive to reply directly to spammers because some of them
use even negative replies as a way to confirm that addresses are active,
and this increases future spamming volume.

Please just disregard the spammers, delete the messages, and know that
we're adjusting our filters as quickly as we can.  For any replies to this
message, please send to jbrewer@w3.org rather than to the list.

Thanks,

Judy
Judy Brewer   jbrewer@w3.org     617-258-9741
Director, Web Accessibility Initiative International Program Office
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
MIT/LCS Room NE43-355
545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA 02139 USA
http://www.w3.org/WAI