Re: Seamless Accessibility (was Re: your mail)

At 07:58 a.m. 05/22/98 -0400, Liam Quinn wrote:
>User agents should, by default, hide long descriptions unless requested to
>show them (either all the time or for the current page).  In Lynx, the "*"
>command key should add a "[D]" or "[Desc.]" link right after the "[IMAGE]"
>(which could probably be replaced by the IMG's TITLE in brackets).  A
>graphical browser could do something similar, with the IMG's TITLE linked
>to the long description and displayed in brackets (or perhaps an inset
>frame) just after the ALT text.

Something I'd play with, except I don't have MSIE 4 here at home
on my laptop:

Using stylesheets, make a d-link class, and then set all my
D-Link to be that class (using <SPAN> or whatever).  Then set these
to not be displayed.

On an accessibility information page, instruct the user how to
set up their own stylesheet to override my stylesheet's instructions
on this, and make them visible again.

This assumes that you have a browser that will allow the user to
define a stylesheet (as MSIE 4 does) _and_ one in which the user
can override the author on a specific point (which I haven't tested,
so I don't know if it works).

Of course, this assumes we have browsers that can use stylesheets.
:)  Obviously for those that don't, it would be stuck "displayed",
and those which have limited CSS support would either be stuck
"displayed" or "hidden".

Incidentally, does anyone know if Lynx will be supporting CSS in
the future?

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
Vice President, Marketing and Outreach, HTML Writers Guild