Re: Using htlm editors to produce clean code?

Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> I'm not a subscriber to this list, but I found [a thread, the origin
> of which was a request for help in improving the output of an
> otherwise acceptable-to-the-originator WYSIWYG application] and felt
> impelled to comment. ... [much opinon snipped] ... much effort is
> being spent (I may say wasted)  on trying to bolt-on additional
> accessibility to these misconceived web documents, when, if the
> originals had been designed in accordance with the principles and
> practices of the original WWW concept, no repair would have been
> necessary ...

Most unbiased observers of the Web would probably agree that the
original WWW concept was that everyone (unskilled individuals included
if not in particular) have a venue and tools to publish globally
without being subjected to long periods of training.

The original poster has found a tool which (for his purposes) does
just that, but which lacks provision for a DOCTYPE declaration and
which also inserts a few other annoyances into the documents.

What is needed is not for everyone exposed even temporarily to the
internet to be goaded into becoming highly-skilled HTML authors;
rather we need to find temporary solutions for the problems inherent
in the present tools (which is exactly what the original poster
requested).

Does anyone out there know a way to force the Composer segment of
Netscape Communicator to include a DOCTYPE declaration, as a step
toward validation and accessibility, as requested by the original
poster?

Regards, Larry Behrens
http://betacomm.com/
 What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the wish to
 find out, which is the exact opposite.  - Bertrand Russell