Re: RIT - Javascript

>Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>A _suitable_ <noscript> would describe what the script does - in this
>case
>'In javascript-capable browsers the active link graphic is highlighted,
>analagously to text links changing colour'
>
>Liam Quinn wrote:
>There is no need to describe every single feature that a user is missing.
>All this does is say "You're not good enough to see this page as I intended
>you to see it, but here's a clue."
>
>There is no appropriate NOSCRIPT for image rollovers because NOSCRIPT is
>only useful to provide alternative content for a SCRIPT that generates
>content.  Since the vast majority of SCRIPTs provide dynamic interactivity
>instead of generating content, the NOSCRIPT element is rarely needed.

Charles McCathieNevile responded:

>Nonsense. The NOSCRIPT above is perfectly appropriate. Imagine (for
>example) a Javascript capable browser, which has scripts temporarily
>disabled. The use of NOSCRIPT to the extent I have described would enable
>a user to determine whether scripts should be enabled or not.

LQ:  Imagine a browser which has scripts permanently disabled.  The use of
NOSCRIPT to the extent you have described provides an unnecessary
distraction while reminding the user that the Web doesn't cater to such
people.

>In addition, describing the action of a script is like using a LONGDESC
>for an image

LQ:  Then push for a LONGDESC attribute for SCRIPT.  NOSCRIPT is for
alternate content, and alternate content is not a description of what the
user's missing.

>they enable all users to understand how the page is designed to be seen.

LQ:  If the page is designed to be seen, then it's not designed to be
accessible.

>An example of where NOSCRIPT might make a difference is at
>http://www.srl.rmit.edu.au/peterbat/roaringforties/index.html

LQ:  All this page has to do is use the image URI in the HREF and add
"return false" to the "change" function.  Then the page transparently
provides an alternative to the script, making a NOSCRIPT element
unnecessary and distracting.

--
Liam Quinn