Re: D-link

I think this is germane to public discussion.

I would suggest that people who teach, or write about, how to use the
web should be including the use of D-links in their discussion, in the
same way that they ought to be teaching the use of bookmarking, turning
off images, etc.

Unfortunately in the real world I have noticed a strong tendency for
people to assume that these things are 'plug and play' to the point that
anything they need to know will be immediately obvious, and reading
instructions is strictly for people who don't have enough to do.

I have also discovered that many people can not find very basic
information because it is not there, or is dressed up in terms which
require the level of understanding that they can only have when they have
read and understood the instructions - a nasty circular trap.

We constantly need to remind ourselves that what is second nature to us
is as incomprehensible as magic to others. But how we make that knowledge
available to 'the general public' (TM) is not very clear to me.

I think this is particularly relevant to the Education and Outreach (EO)
group.

Charles McCathieNevile