RE: ALT-attribute usage (fwd)

Chuck

I'm missing something here.   The only way currently to use a graphic as a
bullet is to *not* use the list constructs (tags) and to just have the
graphic bullets as small graphic images inserted in front a bunch of
indented one line paragraphs  (or they use line breaks to keep the lines
closer together).    At least that is what people are doing now.

How does Active Accessibility tell you that that is a list?

(If and when you can specify that an image is used as a bullet image then
you don't need to put alt text in cause there will be not images to put the
alt text on.  If graphics are turned off I would presume the regular
bullets would appear.  Hmmmm   would the alt text appear at the top of the
list where there image specification for the list was placed? --unless of
course it is in the style sheet.)

By the way,  an old question that didn't get answered (at least if it did I
missed it - too much stuff too late at night).   Does HTML 4.0 allow a
graphic to be specified as the image to be used in a UL ?      Can you do
it with CSS or CSS2?

You also wrote:
so if I have a picture of a furry dog as my list
item graphic, I as an HTML author need to always use "Item" as the ALT
             attribute?  Isn't this a misuse of the ALT attribute?

I would say the answer is no.  The purpose of ALT is to represent the
*function* not the look of an item.  If all your bullets are fuzzy dogs and
that is just because you are a pet shop, then "item" would be the function
of the Dog bullets.     If you used dog and cat bullets to indicate dog and
cat related items then "dog item" or "cat item" would be the proper alt
text.    Unless the fuzzyness of the dog represented some meaning, it would
not be in the alt tag.

At least that is my reading of the consensus of the list.     Anyone else
read it differently?

Also,  has anyone tested this on any other screen readers?  If so let me
know.  I'm going to run some tests here but we don't have all the screen
reader and browser combinations.

Please just listen to the following lines on your systems and tell me (on
the list or separately) which ones pause and which do not.

Item. Bananas with period.
Item, Bananas with comma.
Item: Bananas with semicolon.

I have also attached an HTML page with the above items on it.  Please let
me know if you get a different result with the HTML page.

(Need to know results soonest for guidelines)

thx

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Human Factors