Re: "Ian B. Jacobs": Make summary attribute on TABLE requried?

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Jason White wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Al Gilman wrote:
>
> > ASG:: He actually had two suggestions.  For straw poll, my $.02:
> >
> > 	make required? no.
> >
> > 	populate the attribute in examples in the spec? yes.
> >
> I agree completely with Al's comment.

You may also be interested in work I have been doing on checking
HTML files and automatically fixing up many forms of bad markup.
HTML Tidy generates warnings for missing summary attributes on
tables and missing alt attributes on IMG. I hope to extend it
to cover other accessibility related aspects and would welcome
suggestions on ideas for this.

I have submitted a paper on Tidy to WWW'7 and plan to make the
software available free, to W3C members in January and a month
later to the rest of the community. See:

  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

p.s. this software is still undergoing internal trials and subject
to change as we detect remaining bugs. Please hold off on using the
software until its formally released through W3C.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)