RE: print page number /= current page number in Braille paginatio n.

> The person reading a text in Braille also wants to
 > know what page the same text is on in the print version.

This is very hard and conflicts with other accessibility concerns.
True to its tradition, HTML doesn't know about pages. CSS2 has the
notion of pages [1]. For example, an element can request or refuse a
page break before, after or inside it. But, since HTML documents
should scale onto the widest range of output media possible (e.g. US
letter paper and A4 paper), CSS cannot guarantee that a certain
element ends up on a certain page. Also, unavailability of fonts,
different hyphenation rules, a users's request for large font sizes
etc. make this impossible.

If I recall the page numbering discussion came up a while back.
I objected at first (being print impregnated), but came to accept
the common sense of the view expressed above.

Page numbers support navigation, no more.
Embossed braille is weak on navigation, lets
leave it at that and seek to support navigational
access 'on screen'.

Still very much in support of headers, but for
more useful 'stuff' than page numbers.

DaveP

From: Dave Pawson. RNIB(UK)
e-mail dpawson@rnib.org.uk