print page number /= current page number in Braille pagination.

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 14:19:18 -0500 (EST)
To: howcome@w3.org (Hakon Lie)
Cc: w3c-wai-hc@w3.org (HC team)
to follow up on what Hakon Lie said:

> Al Gilman writes:
>
>  > I seem to remember two functions from Jason's discussion of Braille
>  > formatting traditions that are not covered in what you just said:
>  >
>  > Inclusion of print page number in running headers.
>
> Right. My simple example in the last message didn't show all features.
> For the complete text, see [1]. Here's how you would do page numbers:
>
>   @page :header {
>     content: none, "Page " decimal(pageno), none;
>  }
>
> The example would insert the string "Page 4" centered on the fourth
> page. The 'none' keywords indicate that there should be no running
> header on the left side of the page, nor the right side.

I believe that would only get me the page number of the current
Braille page.  The person reading a text in Braille also wants to
know what page the same text is on in the print version.  The idea
is that this will be back-annotated into the HTML, but how you
know what value is the print-page-number is not standardized in
the HTML spec.  It will be a convention between the writer of the
HTML and the writer of the braille-medium stylesheet.

A mechanism very much like the one you described in which one can
anoint "effective headers" through selector-driven rules should
be capable of handling this one.

-- Al