RE: SELECT/ OPTION GROUPS with the SIZE attribute

I have no objections to most of the recommendations from the WAI group
(although I will continue to ask for clarifications so I can better
understand them). I will review and very closely critique any WAI
recommendation that proposes a change to a core intrinsic control (or
any HTML construct). The proposed enhancements to the list box are
clearly written to improve accessibility and also provide an enhanced
experience to all users. This is a great idea. However, as I expressed
in many mails in the past few days, the proposal is wholly inadequate in
meeting the needs of a true hierarchical list. Even if a hierarchical
list was not intended, the proposed structure essentially creates one.
Unfortunately, it is not simple for me to just propose enhancements or a
counter-proposal for a hierarchical list without spending a large amount
of time examining many of the complexities hierarchy brings.

I did offer a counter-proposal in my mail that serves the immediate goal
of chunking data without requiring modifications to the list box's
structure. I believe my proposal serves the immediate goals of the WAI
group and also ensures that we do not limit a further definition of a
structured, hierarchical list box.  Whatever our mandate is beyond HTML
4.0, I definitely believe a rich hierarchical list box/ menu should be
on our requirements.

Please don't read my objections the wrong way. I agree completely with
the goals of the accessibility group as I also see the positive impact
the WAI's work has at improving the usability and accessibility of the
web for everyone. I want us to be extremely careful before we modify the
structure of any existing HTML construct and examine the existing and
future impact of the enhancements beyond adding contextual and semantic
hints and clarifications.

-Scott