Re: WAI HC, IG accessibility review

From: Judy Brewer <JBrewer@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:43:03 -0400
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>, w3c-html-wg@w3.org, w3c-wai-hc@w3.org, jmiller@w3.org
Al, I agree with Dan that we need to send unambiguous recommendations to
the HTML WG.  Is it possible to summarize the HC WG results & IG review in
a more definitive way?

I realize after revisiting the status of the "Guide" that the first & last
paragraphs of my suggestions to Al & Daniel regarding transmission of the
report were contradictory (see first message below).

Dan, given our awareness of the HTML WG AC deliverable deadline of Oct 31,
I think our pointer to a timeline running through Nov 10 is in error.

Dan, Dave, Daniel, & Al, are you available by any chance at 10 a.m. Boston
time tomorrow/Thursday, if I can get the MIT bridge, so we can resolve the
coordination issues on this quickly?

- Judy

>Al, Daniel,
>
>Dan and I did not specifically discuss transmission of the report.  I
>think sending it as the updated Guide, packaged with the essentials from
>the relevant threads, seems fine.
>
>I've just put out a "last call" on the IG list, also with a plea for >more
input on LINK and META.  If we bring in some additional input in >one area
after today, perhaps that is still workable.

<snip, other topic>

At 04:54 PM 10/22/97 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>Al Gilman wrote:
>>
>> Here is an overview of the results of the accessibility review of
>> HTML4 and CSS2.  Please use the copy on the Web at
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/WAI/group/HC/report.html
>
>Hmm... this isn't what I was expecting. I was expecting
>a list of proposed changes, complete with suggested wording.
>
>The examples are good, and maybe those are enough.
>Editors: what do you think? Are these proposals clear
>enough that you can just merge them in, or do you
>see missing bits or open issues?
>
>Each of the issues (option, table, desc, ref, media) seems
>to have several proposals available. There are still questions
>to discuss, etc.
>
>We have just over a week to incorporate the WAI input on HTML4.
>I don't expect the HTML WG to debate the various proposals,
>but rather to review and refine the suggested changes.
>
>In particular, we need something that won't change, or won't
>change that much. But I see:
>
>=======
>http://www.w3.org/WAI/group/HC/guide.html
>This page will be maintained to try to keep it within 24 hours of
>current with respect to current discussion during the period from
>October 15th to Nov 10th.
>=======
>
>Am I off the mark?
>
>--
>Dan Connolly, W3C HTML Working Group Chair
>http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/
>phone://1/512/310-2971

Judy Brewer   jbrewer@w3.org     617-258-9741
Director, International Program Office
Web Accessibility Initiative, World Wide Web Consortium
MIT/LCS Room NE43-355
545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA 02138 USA