Re: Desc and Alt

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Jason White wrote:

> There are, of course, limitations of CSS 2 syntax which prevent the
> rendering of LONGDESC from being controlled effectively by styles.

It is planned for CSS to include the ability to pickup attribute
values and to render them appropriately. Longdesc is trickier in
that it is a hypertext link and either needs to be presented as
such or deferenced in flow. We could perhaps add the ability for
CSS to create objects that serve as hypertext links. For speech
I imagine this would be a new property of the speak property.
It would be cool to use the alt text as the label for the link
implied by the associated longdesc attribute, perhaps along with
sound icons, corresponding to the visual underlining of links.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)