Re: 4.1.1 Parsing in WCAG 2.0 and 2.1

Hey folks,

I want to make sure my comments aren't getting used out of context.

My biggest concern is to keep WCAG 2.2 consistent with WCAG 2.1 and 2.0. I
don't think we should do one thing in WCAG 2.2, and another in 2.1 and 2.0.
That's why I responded the way I did on the survey. It's also why I voted
against removing SC 4.1.1 from WCAG 2.2. I didn't want us to make a
decision on WCAG 2.2 before there was clarity on WCAG 2.1 and 2.0.

I don't support removing SC 4.1.1 from any version of WCAG, but if we're
going to do it from WCAG 2.2, which the group decided they wanted to do,
then we need to make that same change to WCAG 2.0 and 2.1.

Again, my preferred option would have been for us to mark the SC as
obsolete, and put in a note that says that because modern markup languages
define how to parse invalid markup, that unless you need to support a
pre-HTML 5 browser, SC 4.1.1 is always satisfied.

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe-core & Axe-linter product owner - WCAG 3 Project Manager - Facilitator