Re: CFC - Target Size (Min) Updates

On 10/01/2023 23:33, Melanie Philipp wrote:
[...]
> With exceptions for so many things (almost any text link in the body of
> a page; color pickers; sliders; un-resized: selects, radio buttons,
> checkboxes, text fields, etc...) that it might be easier to flip it all
> and say what IS in scope. We seem to be left with: buttons, tabs, and
> accordion (toggle) controls anywhere on the page and any UICs in <nav>
> type areas.

This reminds me of the old Apple Human Interface Guidelines that talked
about making sure that "important" or "primary" controls had the
recommended minimum touch target size of 44x44 pt (though now the HIGs
seem to have dropped that, and talk about all targets ... which is
interesting, since Apple still to this day breaks this rule with things
like the "back to the app that opened this" control in the top-left of
the title bar (e.g. when opening a link from Mail that opens in Safari,
the control to jump back directly to Mail).

I seem to recall that in the early days of the discussion in the Mobile
task force, when we were discussing what ended up becoming 2.5.5 Target
Size, we floated the idea of taking a similar approach ... but the idea
was abandoned since the concept of "important" or "primary" or whatever
was deemed to be too handwavy and subjective. But perhaps the idea is
salvageable? I agree with Melanie here though ... with all the
exceptions (even in 2.5.5), it might be easier to define what IS in
scope (and it may avoid weird loopholes that we didn't foresee while
discussing all possible exceptions).

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux