Re: My concern about ACT rule "Element in sequential focus order has visible focus"

On 10/01/2023 17:42, Detlev Fischer wrote:
[...]
> "2.4.7 Focus Visible: Any *keyboard operable user interface* has a mode
> of operation where the keyboard focus indicator is visible."
>
> To me, non interactive elements taking focus due to tabindex="0" should
> be out of scope for the rule since they are not part of the user
> interface (they are not tied to any action).

I admittedly never made such a distinction, treating it more to mean
"any *keyboard-focusable element* has a mode of operation where the
keyboard focus indicator is visible", and used 2.4.7 to fail cases where
focus lands somewhere, but disappears (even if that "somewhere" was,
say, a <div tabindex="0"> or similar.

Don't think (though may be wrong) that the original intent behind 2.4.7
was to exclude those situations? Otherwise it'd have likely been
documented somewhere in the understanding?

(In an ideal world, I'd propose a normative wording change to 2.4.7, but
as it's unlikely to get any traction just now, I'll save myself the
trouble...)

--
Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke