Re: Removing 4.1.1 Parsing from WCAG 2.2

Hi Charles,

There is a nuance to ‘backwards compatible’, which is that WCAG 2.2 would be backwards compatible in terms of accessibility for people with disabilities. Things which have a practical impact are already caught by other SCs (see the mapping doc<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MJ6FxO7ujQ4X9BQtAnDDoWyvpAKU44MR4h-bob9SG7M/edit>).

What would change is the reporting of results.

Happy to consider updates to the note, which is currently:
> “This criterion was originally adopted to address problems that Assistive Technology had directly parsing HTML. Assistive Technology no longer has any need to directly parse HTML and, consequently, these problems no longer exists. Accessibility errors failed by this criterion also fail other criteria. This criteria no longer has utility and is removed.”

Perhaps we could add: “Conforming to regulations that require older versions of WCAG may still require you to test and report on this criterion.”?

Another factor people should bear in mind: The original intent of 4.1.1 was narrower than some (most?) people’s interpretation of it has been. See https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/2525
We will need to do some sort of errata or update for 4.1.1 anyway, either remove it or to make clearer the intended interpretation.

Cheers,

-Alastair