RE: Focus not "obscured" to "overlapped"

I would think that overlapping is more strict because things can overlap but not be obscured or made opaque and in that case if they overlap and have no visual impact then it's not an issue but yet it could fail.  It seems if there is an opacity issue then it would be caught already by SC 1.4.11 or 2.4.11.    I'm just hesitant to make such a potentially impactful change at the last minute without considering the consequences but I would not object if the group believes this is better and safer.

Jonathan

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 7:59 AM
To: WCAG list (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org) <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Focus not "obscured" to "overlapped"

Hi everyone,

The last (very last, I hope) potentially normative issue on WCAG 2.2 is:
https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/2583

If so, should we change the SC to talk about overlapping instead of obscuring?

E.g. When a <a>user interface component</a> receives keyboard focus, the component is not entirely overlapped by author-created content.

That means opacity doesn't figure into the scope, if it overlaps it overlaps.

That change is implemented in:
https://github.com/w3c/wcag/pull/2634/files

Does that work? Any objections?

-Alastair