Re: Visible controls - Design canvas exception

Regarding when text or an image can pass as a visible control, I think it
comes down to the concept of "primary purpose" . In some cases it's squishy
but I think this could be used as our test ..
- If the text is identifying the control then it passes, if it has another
primary purpose it fails.
- If the image purpose is to identify the control then it passes, if it has
another primary purpose it fails.

I really like these edge cases because they are forcing us to either make
exceptions or to clarify pass/fail conditions. Several of them I could go
either way (squishy)

On the examples, here's my responses:

 1) Yes (pass) the headshot is a visible control to show the details about
the person are available. (I could be convinced for "no" because one could
argue the headshot has a primary purpose of showing what the editor looks
like-but its a standard convention so I say yes)
2) No (fail), because it is text that has another purpose and the trigger
for the visible control is triggered by text that has another purpose
3) Yes (pass) a visible control because the text serves the purpose of
identifying the content below it.
4) Youtube hover over thumbnail (fail because the image serves to identify
the product (not the popup content) as its primary purpose) (squishy)
5) Youtube hover over video to show controls (pass because hovering is
interacting with and acting on the primary purpose which is to watch the
video)  (squishy)
6) Pass, its a menu, text identifies the popup content
7) Hover over the window to see controls for the zoom call. pass because it
is the controls for the primary purpose (squishy)
8) tick control: Pass because the purpose of the image is to be selected
(squishy)
9) Hover over thumbnail to play. Pass because thats a primary purpose
10) share on hover (fail because that is not the primary purpose of the text
11)Pass   Hover over thumbnail to play. Pass because thats a primary
purpose
12) Fail: Heading text has a different primary purpose
13) Pass Hovering over initials in Teams: Pass: I think we need a
convention that if there is a headshop or initials, that interacting with
that head shot will tell you more about them. (Squishy)
14) Fail, edit a table (Squishy)
15) Fail Edit a table (Squishy)

I think tables that are editable should have a control that says "edit" on
the page.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*