RE: Possible draft of 3.2.7

I agree that a good next step would be to work from a draft that attempts to solve the ambiguity and then, in light of the new SC wording, re-do the survey this time asking for pass/fail (or do something similar to the survey in a meeting) and see if there is consistency.

Perhaps COGA could first provide the desired pass/fail answers to the examples so we can ensure that we not only reach consistent review results but also reach the intended review results. Even if this doesn’t get into the next version, this effort would help with what could be one of the first new outcomes for WCAG 3.

From: Sarah Horton <sarah.horton@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2022 4:48 AM
To: w3c-waI-gl@w3. org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>; public-cognitive-a11y-tf <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Cc: Gregg Vanderheiden <gregg@raisingthefloor.org>; Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Subject: Re: Possible draft of 3.2.7

Hi, all.

I had suggested in previous emails redoing the survey, as the original survey question and response options were not clear. Could the chairs facilitate that? It might be useful to revisit the examples in light of recent discussions and email debates.

In answer to Alastair's questions below, I would respond, “Yes” to all! On the note about the problem, “what people bring to it affects the results,” that’s a challenge with all the SCs. We need to trust designers and developers judgment and give them agency in meeting SCs in a way that’s appropriate for the context and current conventions. For example, there was a time when not underlining menu links was not sufficient to indicate them as controls. Now it is.

Gregg’s proposed changes to the SC name and description seem like a positive step toward clarifying the intent of the SC.

I hope we can take this work forward and help address this user need. I think the SC does that.

Best,

Sarah