Re: Focus appearance - history

On 27/09/2021 13:18, Keim, Oliver wrote:
> In my opinion the focus should be recognisable without forcing the user
> to do anything, not moving a mouse, not using a keyboard key.
Note that this would mean that what modern browsers currently do (i.e.
only showing a visible outline on focused controls by default only when
using a keyboard - which is the basis of what was then standardised as
:focus-visible) would fail, and force all authors to explicitly add a
:focus definition that ignores the heuristic for "would the browser show
an outline by default".

I'd suggest also that in terms of *consistency*, this is something that
could/should be handled by user agents (having a setting that forces a
possibly customisable standard outline/focus indicator - which would
then at least work for content/controls that use "real" focusable
controls, rather than something that creates a purely virtual focus like
a <canvas> application or similar) rather than trying to force every web
developer and designer globally to use a particular style/look (that W3C
would be the arbiter of?)

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux