Re: Focus appearance - history

Hi Jonathan,

I agree and I would also appreciate a focus visuals requirement which is more clearly focusing on consistency and supporting learned visual patterns. This would help providing a "continuum" as expressed in this mail thread.

The focus is, in general, a well established visual pattern in desktop and mobile operating systems, so it would be great if web applications would/could pick up these patterns and provide consistent visuals to expose the current focus position.

Secondly, I need to express my concern about the "one of two" pattern discussed. If you have two options and one option has focus and the other does not - it is still not clearly recognisable which option has focus, without interaction, if the focus is not rendered with consistent visual patterns: If focus is rendered inconsistently, e.g. one time it provides an outline outside the control, one time its rendering the outline inside, the user will not immediately be able to precisely judge which is the focused one.

In my opinion the focus should be recognisable without forcing the user to do anything, not moving a mouse, not using a keyboard key.
A recommendation conforming to the software usability standard ISO 9241-171 would also provide a consistent pattern for requirement definition:
ISO 9241-171 (Accessibility), paragraph 9.2.2. "Provide high visibility keyboard focus and text cursors" defines a requirement that a user can find a focus without need for interaction. If I remember correctly an old version also had the additional text "within one second".

I would greatly appreciate consistency for focus visuals on at least a set of web pages, better consistent to the OS environment.

Best regards, Oliver.

Oliver Keim
Accessibility Expert, Development Architect
SAP SE, Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16, 69190 Walldorf, Germany

Pflichtangaben/Mandatory Disclosure Statement:
http://www.sap.com/company/legal/impressum.epx

Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank.
This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying, or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.