RE: Findable Help Update

The challenge with this proposal is then what does “Access to that way of finding help is included in the same relative order on each page” mean.  It would then imply that all pages that have help must use the same order.  Since sections of sites can be very different this could pose challenges as the order would have to be the same across varied sections unless you had different site sections in different conformance claims.  The set of pages allowed for differences across a site but consistency within sections of a site.

Jonathan

From: Rachael Bradley Montgomery <rachael@accessiblecommunity.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 10:45 PM
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Findable Help Update

Hello,

This email summarizes our current status on Findable help and suggests a way forward. Please take a look and email back if you have additional suggestions. We will survey this for the March 2nd meeting.

Background
We last worked on Findable help at the January 5th meeting<https://www.w3.org/2021/01/05-ag-minutes.html#t11> (Survey Results<https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/wcag22-findable-help-updates/results> . We had also discussed this at the December 1st meeting<https://www.w3.org/2020/12/01-ag-minutes.html#item03>.

The the current version of the SC text and understanding is at https://w3c.github.io/wcag/understanding/findable-help.html

The core difficulty is with the use of "set of web pages"  in the SC. Other SCs that use this term do not rely on it as heavily for scoping.  Findable Help requires the tester know whether a page is in a set, and if certain help mechanisms are available. Then the tester can determine if those help mechanisms are available consistently across the set.  It is difficult to tell how a user will determine what a "set of web pages" is

Suggested Way Forward
We suggest removing the set of web pages reference entirely so it reads:
For web pages that make available one or more of following ways to get help:

     *   Human contact details;
     *   Human contact mechanism;
     *   Self-help option; or
     *   A fully automated contact mechanism,
Access to that way of finding help is included in the same relative order on each page.

You can preview the updated understanding and text at http://raw.githack.com/w3c/wcag/findable_help_february_2021/understanding/22/findable-help.html

Best regards,

Rachael

--