Re: Visible controls

Hey folks,

> David wrote:
> I've never heard anyone say "a modal dialog is not a UIC because
sometimes it's not visible."

What I'm saying is that a component is only a UIC while it is perceivable.
That goes for a modal; we don't apply 4.1.2 until the modal is actually
rendered. That same logic applies to this SC. Until that hidden control is
perceivable, it by definition is not a UIC.

> Alastair wrote:
> I’d go back to my comment that WCAG SCs apply (by default) in whatever
state the page is in, including whether a UIC is hidden or visible. It is
perceived in certain states of the page.

By definition it is not possible for a component to be a UIC in a state
where it isn't perceivable. It's like saying you are driving a parked car.
Whatever the rules are while you're driving, they do not apply when the car
is parked.

Pretty much the same thing as far as I can tell. We don't require buttons
to have a role / name / etc. while it's hidden. 4.1.2 does not apply to
hidden components, because while hidden, they aren't UICs.

This state stuff is very tricky. We can look at SC 1.4.13 Content on Hover
or Focus <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#content-on-hover-or-focus> for
inspiration on this. In that one, we were far more explicit about exactly
in what state to apply the SC, and under what circumstance; and even for
that one, when we wrote up rules for it in ACT we found there was a lot
left out.

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe-core product owner - Co-facilitator WCAG-ACT - Chair ACT-R

Join me at axe-con <http://deque.com/axe-con> 2021: a free digital
accessibility conference.