Re: [Conformance] Third Party Draft Updated

Hi Patrick,

For those situations, Steve Faulkner had a solution in his "HTML5:
Techniques for providing useful text alternatives" document for when a
text alternative is not available at the time of publication.

http://web.archive.org/web/20200420131928/https://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-html-alt-techniques-20141023/#when-a-text-alternative-is-not-available-at-the-time-of-publication-1

Kind Regards,
Laura

On 6/22/21, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:
> On 22/06/2021 13:20, Laura Carlson wrote:
>> IMHO it comes down to training users to enter appropriate text
>> alternatives. We have been doing that with content management software
>> (e.g. Drupal) and learning management software (e.g. Canvas). Our
>> instances have required alt fields. It  helps educate users and
>> provides a teachable moment that helps make accessibility practices
>> more ubiquitous.
>
> This is a different proposition to user-generated content, where your
> users aren't internal users in the organisation that need to use your
> CMS, but rather...the general public. Think Flickr, Instagram, TikTok,
> etc.  Unless you're suggesting those sites should train all their
> general public users before allowing them to post something...

> Patrick H. Lauke
>
> https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
> https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux

Laura L. Carlson