RE: Musings on Functional Outcomes, granularity

I agree we can’t use headings as a normative criteria as some technologies won’t have the concept of headings – so structure and other concepts are needed.  This is why we ended up with SC 1.3.1, etc. in WCAG 2 to make things more technology neutral.  The challenge with WCAG 2.0 was the connection between techniques and the criteria and the ambiguity of sufficient techniques and limited number of failure techniques  etc.

Jonathan

From: jake abma <jake.abma@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 12:30 PM
To: Detlev Fischer <detlev.fischer@testkreis.de>
Cc: WCAG list <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Musings on Functional Outcomes, granularity

Good point Detlev, the semantic approach seems to be copied over and over again for all elements who need semantics.
I've mentioned this before, also as you can navigate input fields, links, lists etc. etc.and use other elements for structure besides Headings.
Other properties have not been part of headings but do apply to headings, like contrast, plain language, text spacing etc.etc.
Also blending a role (heading) with levels (properties) get you into trouble as mixing will end up with too many variables (have spreadsheets to prove the complexity when testing)

My conclusion in the Silver group was that a Heading guideline seemed too specific and if all others will also be guidelines, things will 'bloat' too much (too many guidelines are needed with same / duplicate content)
The functional needs and outcomes are not specific but generic often so a more generic FO seems more appropriate to look at.
We had of course 4.1.2.and 1.3.1 (but that approach was not even so bad..) and I played with the idea of having property like guidelines applying to others (like navigate, contrast, and plain language for a Heading guideline.

In the end all the others need to be scored also and if they are under other guidelines and the functional outcomes are not consistent, the scoring normalization will be hard if not impossible / not reasonable.

Creating all Methods for all those FO also seems like we need 1000+ methods which may not be feasible.