From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Friday, August 28, 2020 at 10:05 AM
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Audio Description requirement

Hi Folks,

I’d like to check my assumptions for whether audio description is required for a particular scenario.

If you have a ‘support’ page, e.g. how to use the product I’ve just bought, and it has both:

  *   A pre-recorded video showing you how to use the product.
  *   Full & equivalent instructions on the same page.

Is that required to have audio description at WCAG 2.1 AA?

I’m leaning towards no, because:

  *   1.2.1 & 1.2.3 have “except when the audio or video is a media alternative for text and is clearly labeled as such"
  *   1.2.5 is scoped to the synchronized media<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-synchronized-media> definition, which includes: “unless the media is a media alternative for text that is clearly labelled as such"

So as long as the video is presented as an alternative to the text content, it does not require audio description.

Do others concur?

Kind regards,

-Alastair

--