Re: Alternative Silver / WCAG 3.0 conformance model proposal

Hi Alastair,

I think I would still prefer to rate SCs (or functional outcomes / FO in
WCAG 3.0) on the basis of what the best and worst possible
implementation is for that particular FO, and use those to define the
end points of the 5 point scale rather that using that scale to also
reflect priorisation *across* FOs. I think that should be done on
another level. It may well be that priorisation (or relative weight) of
FOs depends on contexts and may be defined differently for different
types of applications, for example.

In my view, what is urgently needed for the scoring model is a separate
'stop condition' for flagging critical issues. To take an example: SC
3.1.2 "Language of Parts" (or a related FO) might fail on an
information-oriented site with some publication titles without lang
markup (0/5) but that would not be critical for such a site. On the
other hand, if you are testing an online translation service, failure of
3.1.2 (0/5) should be flagged as critical, because it is. So, if you
have a sample of such an application containing the view with the main
translation function and besides that, 5 other views like FAQ, imprint,
version history etc., a 5/5 rating on those other views (for lack of
foreign language content) must not bury the critical issue by raising
the overall score of 3.1.2 in aggregation across views sampled. Or
reporting may present the aggregate score, but clearly flag the failure.
Flagged failures could be used prevent overall conformance of the chosen
scope if we accept the condition "no critical failures in any functional
outcome across the sampled views" - but that needs to be debated, of course.

Best,
Detlev