And is there a JS implementation that someone on the list could point me to?
Thanks for all your help, Jonathan.  It's great to have the experts on the list as a resource!
Mike

    On Monday, July 6, 2020, 09:53:52 AM EDT, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com> wrote:

 #yiv5266633092 #yiv5266633092 -- _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {}#yiv5266633092 #yiv5266633092 p.yiv5266633092MsoNormal, #yiv5266633092 li.yiv5266633092MsoNormal, #yiv5266633092 div.yiv5266633092MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv5266633092 a:link, #yiv5266633092 span.yiv5266633092MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv5266633092 span.yiv5266633092EmailStyle19 {font-family:sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv5266633092 .yiv5266633092MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered {}#yiv5266633092 div.yiv5266633092WordSection1 {}#yiv5266633092 _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {}#yiv5266633092 ol {margin-bottom:0in;}#yiv5266633092 ul {margin-bottom:0in;}#yiv5266633092
Hi Mike, I know others have said to ignore my advice – but I’ll explain what I was thinking.  I’ve seen tools like AppCues, WalkMe, and chat features that provide widgets on desktop sites but where you can’t control the order of the control because it’s added via a script.   This is where a skip navigation link type of approach could be useful for keyboard only users.  If you could control the order I agree changing the reading order to the top would be helpful – although having quick access from anywhere could be useful.   When I was thinking about keystrokes I was thinking about these desktop situations or situations and I was considering perhaps a non-access key solution perhaps a JavaScript based keystroke that could be changed by the user for flexibility.

In terms of desktop – I would also say keep in mind that when low vision users zoom in they tend to get the responsive mobile view of a site and thus it’s important to consider that responsive views could be accessed in any context – such as with a keyboard on a desktop when browser zoom is used.

Jonathan

From: Mike Elledge <melledge@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2020 11:57 AM

To: Sukriti Chadha <sukriti1408@gmail.com>; Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Floating Action Buttons

Thanks, Jonathan and Sukriti!

Jonathan, when you suggested using a keystroke did you mean assigning an access key or something else? If it is a dedicated key, which would be best?

Thanks again,

Mike

On Jul 1, 2020, at 9:50 PM, Sukriti Chadha <sukriti1408@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I am a new member and excited to be part of this group. I designed and launched audio charts on Yahoo finance mobile apps and was a mobile developer before focusing on a11y and product management. Thank you!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone in the next meeting!

Some thoughts and possible solution for FAB accessibility :

The intent as I understand from material guidelines for a FAB is the primary action a user would take on a given page. One example of this on the gmail app on Android is that the FAB (compose) is only accessible in thecontrols setting on TalkBack if accessed from it's original position. That one is a pretty limited, and IMO unpleasant experience since it doesn't allow navigation backwards or forwards unless the setting is changed from controls to headings or something else.

The part that works reasonably well is when screenreader (TalkBack) is on, the compose button appears on the search bar on top - it is not there when TalkBack is off.

To generalize the recommendation, if we think this is a reasonable approach we could say -

The primary action should be available with other site navigation such as search bar or navigation drawers on the page for screenreader users

Screenshots of Gmail app with and without TalkBack attached

Best,

Sukriti