Re: WCAG 2.2 status - Icon Description

Jake wrote:
> if a icon is used for a button (as an example) it would be fine to show a tooltip on tap & hold if there was no other functionality already present.

If that works, I haven’t seen an example. Google docs toolbars are a good example of this SC on desktop, with very clear labels appearing on focus/hover. However, open that on a touchscreen (in a browser) and the custom tooltips appear & disappear very quickly and are under your finger.

We really need an example to know that this is feasible.

> We might take a look at splitting the SC, a AA (hover / focus) and a AAA (more)?!

Conceptually that makes sense to me, I’m just not sure how the language would work to differentiate them. Perhaps something like:
AA: “For icons that act as labels or instructions, a mechanism is available to display a text equivalent visually, on or before the first occurrence of an icon on the page. If the mechanism is triggered by interacting with the icon, it can rely on hover and focus events.”

AAA: “For icons that act as labels or instructions, a mechanism is available to display a text equivalent visually adjacent to the icon.”
(Also removing the legend mechanism.)

Cheers,

-Alastair