From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 11:07 AM
To: WCAG list <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>; Rachael Bradley Montgomery <rachael@accessiblecommunity.org>
Subject: WCAG 2.2 status - Visual indicators

Hi everyone,

Another SC-specific follow up, this one on Visual indicators.

There are two variations of this, for which the ‘active’ one (where it affects how you design components) is preferred if we can get it right.

The core need is to be able to identify interactive components and know what to do with them, which affects everyone to some degree, but some people with cognitive impairments to a massive degree.

The problem in crafting an SC for this is capture problematic instances, and not capture instances that are not problematic. With something so context dependant, it is difficult!

To provide confidence that the SC works we really need to catalogue plenty of examples. E.g. A list of different UI components and whether they should pass, and whether they do pass according to the SC text.

David started that off in the document, but I thought a landscape orientation would help so I’ve separated that off and done two examples to kick things off:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fw8C-uHkPzI9IH4wWXdzjRmyfxTHNIYX3vk62Xsph4M/edit?usp=sharing

This SC won’t progress without a few people contributing so that we have a robust set of examples demonstrating how to meet (or fail) the SC.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

SC /understanding doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WhZAbswvPHs7A3stfqM_ATsaBHPeGbHtARcmaKMck1U/edit#heading=h.ck57f2kxzytg

Survey: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/Visual_indicators/

Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2020/01/07-ag-minutes.html#item05
Previous minutes: https://www.w3.org/2019/12/17-ag-minutes.html#item03

ATTENTION:
The information in this e-mail is confidential and only meant for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, don't use or disclose it in any way. Please let the sender know and delete the message immediately.