Re: Pre CFC - Hidden Controls

Hey Rachael,
Thanks for reaching out. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around
this SC. Perhaps just some clarifications would be helpful. The main thing
I'm struggling with is the relationship between "visible" and "without
requiring pointer hover". It seems to me the way this is written up is that
if something is ever invisible, it fails the SC. Whereas what I think the
intent was is that it must be possible to make it visible without hover or
focus, right? So should "controls ... are visible without" be changed to
"controls ... can be made visible without ..."?

The second thing that stands out to me is about menus. If menus open only
on click, that seems to pass, but if a menu opens on hover / focus alone,
that seems to fail. For example the "Schedule send" button in GMail opens
when you click the little arrow on the "send" button. If instead of opening
on click, that opened on focus / hover, it sounds like that difference
should cause it to fail the SC. That doesn't seem like the type of "hover"
that should fail the SC.

It strikes me that "hover or focus" may be a symptom of what this SC is
trying to address, and not the actual problem. The problem seems to be that
users shouldn't have to go hunt around the page to find what they need,
that what they need should be readily available. Does it really matter if
how they expose the controls they need are exposed through hover instead of
click / touch? I would argue touch is worse. If I have to click a text
before it's made apparent that it's editable, isn't that even worse than if
that became clear from when I hovered it? Why does that get a pass?

My suggestion would be to continue to work on this.

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe for Web product owner - Co-facilitator WCAG-ACT - Chair ACT-R