Re: Enterprise customers and monitoring

Katie writes:

> I am not sure that the AG is the place, as its aim is authors to meet the
needs of end users.

With the decision to move from static Pass/Fail to a numeric "score", we as
a Working Group took the decision to have a more granular scoring and
reporting scheme, and will now need concrete and measurable means of
calculating that score for those authors-to-end-users, which tool vendors
can then port to their tool-set.

Silver will have a broader scope than WCAG 2.0 and 2.1. The Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) are scoped to Web and to Content. Silver is
being designed to be able to include:

   - *Support for the Technologies that Impact Accessibility*: Advice for *all
   levels of the accessibility technology stack* who wish to support the
   Silver core Guidelines

 (source: https://w3c.github.io/silver/requirements/index.html#scope)

This decision, which I think we all agree is the right one, now also places
responsibility on the WG to address the needs of *ALL* stakeholders: users
yes, but also content creators, site owners, and hardware and software
vendors associated with our work-space/domain (especially in the context of
this member-funded consortium).

This working group has also decided to use the ACT Rules format (developed
by multiple tool vendors, including IBM, SiteImprove and Deque) and so at a
minimum I believe it not unreasonable that this WG provide sufficient
scoring metrics so that at a minimum, any tool can calculate the basic
"score" of a site and be accurate.

Like many other tools in many other categories (Chromium browser anyone?),
tool vendors will compete on features, but should be able to replicate
identical scores based upon the rules we develop, especially since this WG
took the decision that this was the path we wanted to pursue.

Improve the ability to support automated testing where appropriate and
provide a procedure for repeatable tests when manual testing is appropriate.

(source:
https://w3c.github.io/silver/requirements/index.html#design_principles)

***********************
Jon writes:

> ...given the different factors, preferences, and changes in technology
there are aspects that we won’t be able to achieve consensus on

Fair enough, but conversely I think we are obliged to try and find as much
consensus as we can.

   - We've already agreed (consensus) to use the ACT Rules format.
   - We've already agreed (consensus) to move to a "score" based
   conformance model (as opposed to a pass/fail model).
   - We've already agreed (consensus) that "*Silver needs a flexible design
   that can be updated as new technologies emerge, assistive technologies
   improve, and changing technologies produce new barriers for people with
   disabilities.*" (
   https://w3c.github.io/silver/requirements/index.html#oppotunities_maintenance
   )
   - We've already agreed (consensus) that "*The creation process for the
   guidelines should... Be data-informed and evidence-based where possible*"
   (source:
   https://w3c.github.io/silver/requirements/index.html#design_principles),
   and we now have data
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PgmVS0s8_klxvV2ImZS1GRXHwUgKkoXQ1_y6RBMIZQw/edit#heading=h.s2f3av3tk0j8>
   that is telling us that content creators want a method for ongoing
   monitoring as we move towards a non-static scoring mechanism (and multiple
   tool-vendors are trying to meet that need, including Level Access)

Concern that we may not achieve consensus on *everything* is not, in and of
itself, a reason to not try.

JF