Re: Task testing structure

Hi Chuck,

Any conformance model that seeks to deliberately exclude problematic
content (or that facilitates that option), using a "not critical" argument,
is still completely missing the point (never mind that it *WILL* be gamed).

Looking at your second use case:

If the business case for Game Two was just to attract web traffic to the
site, I could see a case for the author wanting to scope that out.  The
second game isn't a required step for ordering a pizza or any other
service.  The author just wants to attract traffic in the hopes that the
players decide to use the accessible ordering app to order something.

[image: image.png]

*Susan (a low vision user) is a mother of three primary school aged
children, who, after 6 weeks of COVID-19 Shelter In Place, is climbing the
walls (she loves her kids, but needs a break...). One of her children is
also a special needs student who has mobility issues.Susan decides one
night to order pizza for dinner, and is able to successfully place her
order online. While waiting for it to be delivered, one of her sons notes
there is a "game" on the "Corner Pizza" web site. Susan decides she'll let
the kids play with that game until dinner arrives - she's going to go put
her feet up for 10 minutes. 5 minutes later however she is confronted with
a crying child, who, because of their mobility issue, cannot play the game
with their siblings. Susan encounters these types of situations routinely,
and spends the next 15 minutes consoling her child, who still doesn't
understand why they made a game he can't play. I mean, he's a kid too,
right?*

*Digital equality MUST extend beyond mere function.* Your perception of
this game as simply a marketing exercise to drive traffic, and not core to
the *business* requirements misses the fact that other people will access
content for completely different reasons, and in this use case, the
importance of that game being accessible is far greater for Susan and her
mobility impaired child.

But, because of the way the proposed conformance model was allowed to
exclude that pizza game, and yet still claim that the site is "accessible",
it flies in the face of the facts in front of her. Susan files a complaint
with  "Corner Pizza", who still maintain they are "conformant" according to
the rules. They feel badly for Susan, but the game will only be online for
another 3 weeks, and "legally" they don't have to do anything about it: it
was never designed to be accessible, and *"...was always considered
"non-core" content anyway"*.

I recognize that anyone who wants to game the system will go ahead and do
so, but I come up short in wanting to provide that very same opportunity
directly in our specification. I accept that the current conformance model
in WCAG 2.x is at the page level (the Web page) and that this is today a
bit of an issue, however I was also led to understand that one of our goals
in Silver was to have a more realistic conformance reporting mechanism that
worked at the "site" level, rather than at the page level.

But in my opinion, it has to be the "whole site" (or at least an *accurate*
representative sampling for those sites that grapple with scale - like
Amazon) - which is where selective choosing would come into play (assess at
least two examples of each of these 5 common templates that contain
differing content). But to allow sites to deliberately exclude a directory
or section of the site?... That's an open invitation to avoid
responsibility.

At the end of the day, I'm hard pressed to determine the difference between
excluding content and excluding people: *exclusion *is happening, and
*exclusion
*is the direct opposite of *inclusion*, which I believe to be our shared
goal.

Respectfully

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good