Re: Plugins as SC - thread was: Visual Indicators

On 19/04/2020 09:41, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
[...]
> Failure examples are not requirements. They are examples of "if you do
> this, it'll fail a particular SC (unless you've done something else to
> mitigate/work around this, or you're using it in a situation that counts
> as an exemption/exception to the SC)". And it's exactly because of the
> potential ambiguity that it's not possible to outright outlaw certain
> things. So let's not conflate failure examples with requirements.

One of the reasons here is that it's also impossible to just define an
exhaustive list of "these are ALL the ways in which you can fail this
SC, so we're outlawing all of them as part of the hard normative
requirement in the SC". There are a myriad of different ways in most
cases to pass or fail an SC, and the web technologies available keep
evolving (and authors find new and - sometimes - clever ways of
achieving new things even with old technologies/combinations or
technologies). It would be a sisyphean task to try and pin down every
possible iteration (present and future) as part of hard requirements.
Hence why failure and success examples are only that...examples. Not
exhaustive lists. And it's why those are informative, rather than normative.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux