From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2020 10:51 AM
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Plugins as SC - thread was: Visual Indicators

Jon,
Yes, there are other options other than underlining links, although right now the options are numerous (and just talking about links here):
Option 1: you can’t rely on font size, font style, or spacing as the only means of identification. So a link can be >3:1 color difference AND larger text.
Option 2: you can’t rely on a single visually identifiable characteristic, except if using underline (pretty similar to option 1)
Option 3: plugin option, which is desirable but has some problems
Option 4: you need to use at least 3 of a list of properties (color, spacing, font size, etc), except if using underline (also pretty similar to option 1 but more restrictive)

So the option for links is pretty much to apply a bunch of styling or to add underlines. Most links vary in one aspect of the text appearance, although many are identified as links because of the way that they are positioned among other content. We need to look at many more examples to understand the impact. I agree with you that process isn’t clearly defined – an does not helps constrict this SC.

Thinking about visiting CVS.com (I’m tired of using Amazon as an example!) – there is a link to locate a store or switch to Spanish – are those processes? In this same area there are two links to “sign in” and “create an account”. These feel like processes, and are a different color and bold, so these would meet Option 1 or 2 but not 4. Surely CVS could make Store locator and Espanol look like those, but CVS is undoubtedly trying to emphasize the two links as key pathways for customers, so there’s a design challenge there (and clearly not an insurmountable one, but a challenge).

[cid:image001.png@01D615B4.18435210]
Also on the CVS site, there is a navigation bar with plain text links – do these pass? These are using larger text than some nearby text, but there is other text that is the same size. Some nearby text is larger than these and isn’t linked. To me, these are clearly links because of their position, which is as much a convention as text being recognized as links because it is underlined.
[cid:image002.png@01D615B4.18435210]

Speaking of underlining, does the use of underlined text that isn’t linked cause problems?

The concern I have is looking around the web and seeing indicators of interaction that seem ok to me, but that I don’t think that would pass under this SC. I’m not the target audience for this SC, so my observations are not going to convince me that this is or isn’t needed, but I don’t think that we _really_ know what the problems are and what the full range of acceptable solutions are.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Head of Accessibility