Re: Finding HHello jennie,elp

Alastair writes:

"...If it met ‘set of web pages’ (I assume yes)," [JF: yes] "... then it
would be required to have one of the 4 things. In that scenario, I’d
suggest a link or email address for tech-support!"

So while I agree with the "*Suggestion*", I bristle at "the *REQUIREMENT*",
because in some contexts it is likely (or at least
possibly/probably) inappropriate.

In my hypothetical (but realistic) use case, it is a multi-screen form that
writes to a data-base, and it uses basic HTML form inputs to grab the data
- pretty straight forward and requiring very little further help or
explanation. The *specialized user* (employee / data-clerk) who is using
that collection of intranet pages (the multi-screen form) has already been
trained on how to solicit and format the data to be inputted, (and
potentially the team that created and use that form are all together in the
same office - "Hey Bob, how did you format box #17?"...) In that instance,
I cannot justify forcing a link on each screen to an email contact to get
in touch with Bob, who is possibly sitting right beside me.

I can too easily and too quickly come up with use-cases where "human help"
in the context of the screen flow simply doesn't make sense - yet to be
WCAG 2.2 compliant we'll need to add that link AND support that "human
help"? Sorry, to my mind that is over-reach, and the type of broad, blanket
demand we need to be avoiding (at least IMHO).

Reviewing the Intent section
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fX4Iw169OGUny5RTd70S8qAneYy5e0hr7zupE21gPBM/edit?pli=1#>,
it clearly states:

"*The intent of this proposed Success Criteria is to ensure users can find
help for completing tasks on a website.*"

...and NOT

"*The intent of this proposed Success Criteria is to ensure a form of Human
Help is always provided and is easy to locate*".

If this SC was hewing closer to how Chuck and I first read the SC (IF/ WHEN
those types of help are present, THEN...), then I think we'll be fine - but
*demanding* one of those 4 types of help, and a persistent easy-to-locate
link to that help *on every (collection of) web page(s) on the internet /
intranet / extranet* simply will not scale, and I will oppose that SC
language strongly.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good