Re: Collections of web pages

Peter asks (some very good questions):

Now, what if instead we had a different format eBook, which didn’t use zip
or any other component-based compression scheme, but which appeared to the
reader to be the same content, presented in the same way, as its ePub
equivalent?  Would that non-ePub eBook also be a “set of web pages”?

I think Peter that part of the problem is that we keep calling them "web
pages": what if, instead we just called them "pages"? In that case, any
collection of "pages" would (by definition) be a "book" (publication?) and
in that case I am simply suggesting that higher-order "collection of..."
requirements are applied to whatever the parent container is called: book,
site, (and perhaps, in the future with XR, "scenes" inside an "instance" -
I don't know the answer to that specific a question today, but you get (I
hope) the idea). I think the critical bit is that alone, the content (page,
screen, scene, whatever) is incomplete at best, and completely unusable at
worst, but by design: it is *intended* to be part of a larger "collection".

I think too that while there has been significant standardization in
digital publishing since the early days (.mobi anyone?), I'd none-the-less
seek some guidance from the W3C Digital Publishing Group on an appropriate
term and perhaps even definition (if they have such a beast). In that
regard, I know Avneesh to be an active member of that group, and welcome
his thoughts - or perhaps he could take it back to that WG for more input?
Perhaps eBook is right, or perhaps there is a better more inclusive term
that we should be using. (Open Question: does 'pagination' have a place
here? i.e. content that relies explicitly - or perhaps even implicitly - on
pagination as part of the delivery process is a "collection" of
pages/screens/contentblocks - and for those collections, 1 of *foo* is
sufficient: findable help, privacy or accessibility policy, etc..)

No matter what, I am personally unhappy with "web page" as a unit of
measurement, and I believe that WCAG 3.0 / Silver is trying to avoid that
narrowly defined container as well.

FWIW

JF