Re: Visual Indicators

AWK writes:

"I support the user need and trying to identify an SC that addresses the
need, but this may need to be handled by *user preferences,
personalization, or plugins*. Firefox already allows users to set links to
be underlined, so plugins aren’t even needed with that browser.

My core question is *whether the existence of readily available tools that
users can use to meet this SC would be regarded as sufficient*. If not, I
expect that this will not survive comments."

A huge +1

If I've learned anything over the past 20+ years of WCAG, it's that the
more prescriptive we become, the more resistance we will encounter.

One of the core tenets of the on-going Personalization work is that *the
end-user will be responsible for the final 'rendering'* so long as the code
is properly marked-up to support the personalization. It is *NOT* the
responsibility of the browser or content owner to address every need of
every user, but rather for the content owner to provide the appropriate
condition(s) for the personalization/customization to be had.

This is not unlike our expectation that when we furnish an "alt text" to a
non-textual item, that *the browser itself will not natively provide that
alternative text to all users by default*, but rather that the information
is there if and when a specific user requires it.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good