Re: WCAG 2.2 COGA SC Information in Steps Ready For Review Edits

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 09:11:39 +0000
To: "lwatson@tetralogical.com" <lwatson@tetralogical.com>, David Fazio <dfazio@helixopp.com>
CC: "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, public-cognitive-a11y-tf <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Hi LĂ©onie, David,

I think two things are getting confused, autofill (the attribute) and auto-filling in inputs during a session based on previous input from that user.

Autocomplete/autofill attributes are based on the user's browser, and we settled the security discussion a while ago for the Input Purpose SC: https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/407#issuecomment-401418096

If a form has a series of steps, and re-asks (or confirms) information from a previous step, that should be attached to the session rather than something the browser fills in. I think this is the technique proposed;.

Also, if something in an SC doesn't apply if it might be shown whilst in a library, that pretty much applies to any public website, so we'd need to re-think the SC.

-Alastair