RE: 2.2 / Silver separation

+1 for this answer too

Also think we’ll end up with at least as much guidelines in Silver (if not more) and even more methods to choose from to comply with a Guideline.

From: Denis Boudreau [mailto:denis.boudreau@deque.com]
Sent: vrijdag 22 februari 2019 15:28
To: Joshue O Connor - InterAccess <josh@interaccess.ie>
Cc: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>; Wilco Fiers <wilco.fiers@deque.com>; GLWAI Guidelines WG org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: 2.2 / Silver separation

Hey Josh,

I appreciate the pragmatism. I really do.

With that said, I don't see a lot of issues with keeping on adding new Success Criteria as time passes. Sure, it means more things to think about, but if these additions are needed, then they are needed. I wouldn't want to level down WCAG just because it's too complicated for designers and developers to figure it out all the subtleties. Most of them will take what they can anyway, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't expect anyone to be perfect. I do expect everyone to at least do something, and if that means that this particular group only handles a a handful of SC in their next project and a few more after that, I'm totally cool with the idea. Baby steps lead to progress. Drinking from the firehose and trying to nail it all at once only leads to frustration and utter failures.

The pragmatist in me now looks at WCAG as an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. Take what you want now. You can always come back later if you want more. Pure, total compliance is a myth anyway. Nobody ever gets it perfectly. Why not acknowledge that, and keep expanding the list of considerations, so that new needs that arise get addressed. Not to mention old needs already identified, but that we were unable to factor in to 2.1.

Most people were already feeling that WCAG 2.0 was asking too much with 38 SC at level A and AA anyway, so that doesn't change anything. Whether we bring A = AA to 50 SC, or XX with WCAG 2.2 and beyond, some people will complain, some people will appreciate. But ultimately, we provide real people with a potentially better chance at a more equal online user experience. New technologies introduce new challenges, and so does mobile. We haven't even seriously started looking into AR, VR and al that good stuff.

What kind of an accessibility standard would WCAG be if it settled before any of those things can be addressed? If it didn't account for the new barriers that these innovations will introduce? Vestibular disorders were on nobody's radar back in 2001-2008 when 2.0 was created, and yet today, it's very much a thing that we are barely starting to recognize at AAA with SC 2.3.3. We need to keep on adding, because the barriers won't stop coming.

/Denis

Denis Boudreau, CPWA | Principal Accessibility SME & Training Lead | 514-730-9168
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good
Deque.com<http://www.deque.com>