Re: Crowd Source Request: Examples of pre in pages you use.

Two examples when formatted text is important (if not critical):

Haiku: (a traditional form of Japanese poetry. Haiku poems consist of 3
lines. The first and last lines of a Haiku have 5 syllables and the middle
line has 7 syllables. The lines rarely rhyme.)

The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Example of a Robert Service
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_W._Service> poem
<https://mypoeticside.com/show-classic-poem-26688>: (This poem follows a
regular pattern of four-line stanzas composed of two rhyming couplets.)

On a Christmas Day we were mushing our way over the Dawson trail.
Talk of your cold! through the parka's fold it stabbed like a driven nail.
If our eyes we'd close, then the lashes froze till sometimes we couldn't
see;
It wasn't much fun, but the only one to whimper was Sam McGee.

In these examples, the formatting of the text also conveys the Pentameter
<https://literarydevices.net/pentameter/>of the rhymes/poems. Conveying
this literary device is wholly dependent on the formatting of the text:

(simulations:)

Haiku (2):
The summer river:
although there is a
bridge, my horse
goes through the
water.

Robert Service poem  (2):
On a Christmas
Day we were
mushing our
way over the
Dawson
trail.
Talk of your cold!
through the
parka's fold it
stabbed like a
driven nail.
If our eyes we'd
close,
then the lashes
froze till
sometimes we
couldn't
see;
It wasn't much
fun, but the only
one to whimper
was Sam McGee.

Granted, both of these examples are edge-cases, but the specific formatting
of the text in both is important enough that over-riding the <pre> on these
examples would materially impact both the value and even
understand-ability of the content.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good