Re: Some discussion points for Label in Name

Thoughts on these 2.5.3 examples from the speech user perspective:

"Work phone" for the first component. Getting around the separate
elements would use arrows/tabs and/or its automatic as you fill it out

"Call me…" for the explanation.
Yes
No

"What do…" for the explanation
Courtesy
Promptness
Store Hours
Knowledge

Put the focus on the question when you say the question, then tab/arrow
to fill in a radio button or get to the text field.
Also enable yes/no as usual (when a speech user says yes and there are
10 yeses on the page they are numbered).

Enable the labels and enable arrows in the radio button array. A speech
user would say, for instance "The Interaction…", "2  Right" and then
either say the next label  and "2 Right", or just use arrow commands
from that location to fill in the rest.

Question for you – do any of these conflict with the needs of screen
reader users and if so how?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kim

On 1/21/2019 5:51 PM, Michael Gower wrote:
> "Success Criterion *2.5.3 Label in Name*
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#label-in-name> (Level A): For user
> interface components
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-user-interface-component> with
> labels <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-label> that include text
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-text> or images of text
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-image-of-text>, the name
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-name> contains the text that is
> presented visually."
> Time permitting, here are some topics I'd like to delve into on our
> next call in relation to 2.5.3 Label in Name.
>
> Problem 1: When we ignore the programmatic stuff, getting agreement on
> what exactly constitutes a 'label' for a component isn't always simple.
>
> Problem 2: The Accessible Name Rec has a specific method for
> determining name. It affects implementation, especially when you try
> to satisfy various interpretations of what IS a label. (Key
> considerations: group role not in calculation, aria-label/labelledby
> have priority in calculation, aria-describedy not calculated)
>
> Problem 3: It is harder than anticipated to balance the needs of
> screen reader users with the needs of speech recognition.
>
> Five examples. What is the label for each UI Component (or does it
> have one)?
>

> a) Alcohol dependence? b) Drug dependence? c) Have you had supervised
> detoxification?
>

> Interaction with sale staff, experience at the register, organization
> of store, products offered, price, sizes availabile
>

> Michael Gower
> Senior Consultant
> IBM Accessibility
> Research
>
> 1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
> gowerm@ca.ibm.com
> cellular: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034

Kimberly Patch
(617) 325-3966
kim@scriven.com <mailto:kim@scriven.com>

www.redstartsystems.com <http://www.redstartsystems.com>