From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 11:14 AM
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>
Cc: WCAG list <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Focus (more) visible

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that, so I’m concluding a few things from your experience:

  *   Example 3 barely perceivable `if tabbing -- If looking at it without tabbing – it’s not perceivable to me at all.

That is a light-grey outline being added whilst on a white background. That means we cannot use an contrast measure such as “contrasts with either adjacent color”.

  *   Example 8 not perceivable at all

That is basically the same as example 3, but highlighting the problem with using currentColor on a component with an internal background.

  *   Example 11 colors not perceivable – any color changes is swallowd up by the high contrast colors and effectively it is not visible to me.  I see the blinking caret and I see some sort of size change in the boxes – that’s it.

In this case the ‘change of color’ is adding a white outline to a white box, which does makes it look bigger. It is a very extreme version of the Gov.uk search box, which uses yellow instead of white. Apart from real mono-chromatic vision, if someone uses a yellow color instead of white, I think that would be very perceivable.

I added an example 11b using yellow, does that help? Same sort of contrast, but a more realistic usage.

  *   Example 13 barely perceiveable if tabbing –barely perceivable if not tabbing.  Blinking caret is close to left edge making it difficult to detect caret.

That is interesting, it is a dark grey outline at the mid-point between white and black so it should contrast with both. I’m afraid that whatever measure we use that one would pass.

I’m surprised example 12 was ok, I struggle with that one.

Cheers,

-Alastair