RE: Minutes 9 April 2019

Bruce, I reviewed for A and AA, and had a few requests/questions.

Can you please add a comment to the document explaining why On Input is
listed "no" for Invisible while On Focus is "yes".

Given 4.1.2 exists for custom components as per the SC's note, I do not
think it is reasonable to use the rationale that standard HTML components
already meet this SC to mark it "easy". It is theoretically easy to add
aria, but can involve effort. So I'm not sure whether or not it should be
marked easy, but I'm not comfortable with the reason given.

Can you please add a note explaining why Contrast (minimum) is marked as
not essential while Non-text Contrast is marked essential? I suspect it is
to do with a user's ability to transform text through an AT, but it would
be good to note that.

I would say that Status Messages needs some adjusting. It would say it is
easy and also invisible. The text already exists in the UI; the SC merely
requires it be programmatically flagged to AT, so it does not alter the UI
at all (and therefore invisible). The fix is easy to implement - just add
a role or aria-live attritube.

Thanks for the work!
Michael Gower
Senior Consultant in Accessibility
IBM Design

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
cellular: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034