Re: Understanding doc 1.4.11, updates

Agree on 1. boundaries

> 2. States do not have to be differentiated within the component, e.g.
hover is not required to be contrasting with non-hover.

Agree, given the language. I still believe we can set up 2.1 toward a 3:1
contrast for "visible" focus indicator differentiation by making a good
2.4.7/1.4.11 combo technique, even if we can't get agreement that we can
do a failure technique.

> 3. Functional / value states do require differentiation via ‘adjacent’
background.

I do not think we will can consensus that this is currently covered in
2.1, as per the current language. I think defining which states for what
kinds of controls need to differentiate, and to what degree, is an
interesting candidate for 2.2, and there's nothing stopping us from having
those guidelins developed NOW has advisory techniques for 1.4.11

Michael Gower
Senior Consultant
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
cellular: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034

From:   Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
To:     WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Date:   2018-12-12 01:41 AM
Subject:        Understanding doc 1.4.11, updates

Hi everyone,

I thought it might help to highlight some of the key decision points for
the understanding doc updates [1] on non-text contrast. I’m not pushing
for one way or another in this email, just presenting my understanding of
the choices and whether they have been explicitly decided before.

These are all for the 1st bullet point on User Interface Components.

1. Boundaries are not required on links & buttons, or hit areas in
general. Therefore contrast for those boundaries is not required either.
This was thought ok because (given some button styles don’t use
borders/backgrounds) they are not required to visually identify the
components.

That was decided in the run-up to the 2.1 publication.

2. States do not have to be differentiated within the component, e.g.
hover is not required to be contrasting with non-hover. From the SC text
each state must provide contrast with it’s souroundings, but not
necessarily with itself in other states.
When related to Focus Visible, contrast is added as a possible method via
1.4.11, and ‘visible’ is better defined.

This was discussed previously [2] and at the time it was proposed that
hover didn’t need to be differentiated due to other information being
available, e.g. the pointer location.

However, I don’t think that works as an overall method of saying that
certain states don’t need contrast because:
- Buttons don’t (by default or according to the CSS spec) change the
pointer on hover.
- What about visited links? A link can be default, visited, hovered,
focused, and any combination of those things. We can’t require those
states are differentiated where they are not already. If we try, I think
people will remove subtle hints for those ‘niche’ states rather than try
to make them contrast, and I wouldn’t blame them as it’s impossible to do.
- These link states are programmatically available, there’s a good case
that if that’s a need, it can be provided by user agents, e.g.
user-created CSS.

3. Functional / value states do require differentiation via ‘adjacent’
background.
For checkboxes, radio buttons, multi-selects, and selected tabs provide
functional state information and have the possibility to have ‘adjacent’
colours, whereas that is not necessarily the case for links/buttons.

This is the trickier one, and depending on your reading of the SC text
might be incompatible with decision 2 if that is decided in favour of not
differentiating states.

I don’t think this has been discussed (as people have assumed it is
covered), however, if we go with decision 2 and decide this is
incompatible, 3 becomes a strong contender as an addition for a WCAG 2.2.
Detlev emailed the list about a way of doing that.

Have a read of the understanding doc [1], most of the changes are to cover
new methods of meeting Focus Visible, but the above are key decisions.

-Alastair

1] https://github.com/w3c/wcag/pull/550

2] https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/400#issuecomment-401413694

Apologies for typos, sent from a mobile.