Re: Unsupported Autofill values and Common Purpose

Hi David,

The answer is #3.  I think we need to step back from the fatalistic
scenarios.

I have now successfully shown support for roughly 50% of the values
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/WCAG_2.1_Implementations/JF/research> in
the browsers via native support (the original 18 number was when I did not
have an SSL certificate, which I do now:
https://john.foliot.ca/demos/autofill.html), and I've found (Friday) at
least one stand-alone application that supports *ALL* of the values today,
with I hope a second one in the wings.

Given that we only need two independent instances of support, and I can
point to one already (that is both platform and browser agnostic on the
desktop - LastPass <https://www.lastpass.com/> - although for Android you
need to use the bundled browser with the LastPass app, which I still need
to test for a11y, and I haven't done any testing on the Apple platforms).

I have also spoken with Chaals McCathie Nevile, one of the co-chairs
of WebPlatforms
WG <https://www.w3.org/2015/10/webplatform-charter.html>, discussing the
discrepancy between the spec and actual support in the browsers. While that
WG *might* revisit the list and prune it, there is also a complex
discussion around the W3C version of HTML 5 versus the WHAT WG version, and
so I am less sure that the values that lack support in the browser today -
BUT DO HAVE SUPPORT IN OTHER HELPER APPS - will disappear.

The point being, we now seem to have some robust support, even if not full
native support in the browsers. I am continuing to document and test this
week, but as it stands today, I don't think we have anything to worry about
(even though I first raised this concern a week+ ago).

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist